10. Golf – 450 Million Fans
Its influence is in Western Europe, East Asia, and North America.
9. Rugby – 475 Million Fans
Its primary sphere of influence is in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth nations.
8. Baseball – 500 Million Fans
Has the highest levels of popularity in the United States, the Caribbean, and Japan.
7. Basketball – 825 Million Fans
The sport was invented by Dr. James Naismith in 1891 in Massachusetts, United States.
6. Table Tennis – 875 Million Fans
Formidable global countries in the sport include South Korea, Sweden, and China.
5. Volleyball – 900 Million Fans
The primary influence of volleyball is seen in Western Europe and North America.
4. Tennis – 1 Billion Fans
Different versions of the sport are believed to have been played by the Egyptians, Romans and the Greeks.
3. Field Hockey – 2 Billion Fans
Its primary sphere of influence is in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
2. Cricket – 2.5 Billion Fans
Its primary sphere of influence is in the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries.
1. Association Football (Soccer) – 4 Billion Fans
Association football, or soccer, is the most popular sport in the world.
It is estimated that more than half of the world’s population consider themselves to be association football (soccer) fans.
Latest posts by Administrator (see all)
- 11 richest celebrities in the world - 24, August 2019
- Countries with the highest infections rate of HIV/AIDS - 24, August 2019
- Hi Tanzania! Here’s your daily horoscope and Lucky Numbers for 24 August 2019 - 24, August 2019
TheAfrican.com is a network of news websites covering news, lifestyle, sport, business and entertainment for Young Africans across the continent. Malawi.TheAfrican.com is specifically targeted at Malawians living and working in Malawi.