With 26 James Bond films there have been a fair share of beautiful Bond Women acting along side the fictional character created by novelist Ian Fleming in 1953, the British secret agent working for MI6 who also answers to his codename – 007
In this article we honour the Black actresses that have featured in the iconic franchise; Grace Jones, Tina Parks, Gloria Hendry and Halle Berry.
James Bond has been portrayed by actors Sean Connery, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig, in twenty-six productions.
Who is your favourite?
1. Tina Parks: Diamonds Are Forever 1971 Trina Parks, originally a dancer before staring her acting career made history as the first Black actress to star in a Bond film when she played Thumple, a bodyguard in Diamonds Are Forever in 1971.
2. Gloria Hendry: Live and Let Live (1973) Gloria Hendry became the first Bond Black Woman to be Bond’s lover in Live and Let Live in 1973. Moore and Hendry’s love scene was removed from Live and Let Live when it was shown in South Africa. 1973 South Africa was very much in the think of apartheid South Africa where interracial relationships were illegal.
View this post on Instagram
Gloria Hendry ❤ In 1973 she became the first black bond girl, aka Rosie Carver. Possibly the first bond girl to not be given a silly name too! . . . #gloriahendry #rosiecarver #jamesbond #bondgirl #bondgirls #007 #rogermoore #raisedeyebrow #liveandletdie #liveandletlive #cubbybroccoli #ianfleming #universalexports #blaxploitation #blackbeauty #blackisbeautiful #melanin #oneworld #onelove
3. Grace Jones: A view to a Kill (1985) Grace Jones made her Bond debut in her role staring in A View to a Kill in 1985. In her auto biography, I’ll Never Write My Memoirs, Jones recalls taking her villainous character so seriously she scared the living daylights of co-star Roger Moore. He would say, “Please stop looking at me like that, with such venom,” she writes.
4. Halle Berry: Die Another Day (2002) Halle Berry was the first Oscar winning actress in a Bond film. Berry played a gorgeous baddy named Jinx in Die Another Day opposite Pierce Brosnan.
How many James Bond movies have you watched? Here is a list of them all
1 Dr. No (1962)
2 From Russia with Love (1963)
3 Goldfinger (1964)
4 Thunderball (1965)
5 Casino Royale (1967)
6 You Only Live Twice (1967)
7 On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969)
8 Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
9 Live and Let Die (1973)
10 The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
11 The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
12 Moonraker (1979)
13 For Your Eyes Only (1981)
14 Octopussy (1983)
15 Never Say Never Again (1983)
16 A View to a Kill (1985)
17 The Living Daylights (1987)
18 Licence to Kill (1989)
19 GoldenEye (1995)
20 Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)
21 The World Is Not Enough (1999)
22 Die Another Day (2002)
23 Casino Royale (2006)
24 Quantum of Solace (2008)
25 Skyfall (2012) 26 Spectre (2015)
Latest posts by Corinne Dupont (see all)
- 5 African Super Models you need to see [pictures] - 7, July 2019
- Wimbledon Update and Roger Federer’s – Top 10 “Federer” Tricks - 7, July 2019
- Top 5 countries with the sexiest women [pictures] - 12, June 2019
Married to an African, both of my children born in Africa, travelled extensively through Africa.. my soul is part of Africa. I write to inform, I write to make change, I write to educate.. I write in French, Spanish and English.